Monday 28 October 2013

More about food...

Sorry this is going to be a short post.  I strive to update weekly, but last week was ridiculously busy with special school activities, and I've fallen behind here a bit.

I went with friends to an Indian buffet yesterday.  It was decent.  I do like Indian food, but "all you can eat" style places, and the price that goes along with them, aren't exactly economical when you can't eat much in one sitting.  My friends enjoyed it though.  What surprised me is that there was macaroni and cheese on the buffet.  I don't understand why this is a thing, and haven't seem macaroni and cheese anywhere else in Dundee in the six weeks that I've been there.  And why it's on an Indian buffet of all places just does not make sense to me.  I was scared to try it, but I might do so if we go back to-morrow on student discount day.

The closest thing I've been able to get here to a grilled cheese sandwich is a cheese toastie, and it's still not the same.  But shops will offer not just the plain cheese, but also ham and cheese or bacon and cheese, and at Baguette Express you can pick all sorts of vegetables to go on your toastie.  It's different though.  Much drier.  Grilled cheese sandwiches in America are usually coated in butter, and then fried.  Toasties here are not like that, and also have ridges on the bread after being cooked, which is something I've found very strange.

About once a week here I try to go to the supermarket.  It takes me about an hour to find my way around, because supermarkets seem to be laid out differently here than in the U.S., and also everything is different and new.  Fresh produce is somewhere in the middle of the shop.  Frozen and refrigerated stuff is all around.  Milk comes in litres (I don't know, it might come in gallons too, but who drinks a whole gallon of milk before it goes off?  And at least it doesn't come in bags like it does in some countries...)  The big Tesco by the river is my favourite, but it's hard to get to on foot.  It's kind of like a super Target though, with lots of clothes and general merchandise, but an even bigger grocery section than super Target.  So in addition to groceries, I usually come out of that place with socks, office supplies, and fashion magazines (which are cheaper here and have free stuff packaged with them sometimes, which is something that never happens in America.)  And today I finally have a jar of Dundee style marmalade.  I feel like such a tourist, but it'll go well on the wholemeal bread (we call this whole wheat bread in America) that I usually get.

That's about it.  I know this isn't the best post, but it clears up a few things for people who have been wondering how I've been eating.  So hi, Mom and Dad.  This was for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment