Sunday 20 October 2013

Epic Walks Part 1: Dundee Law

 A field.

 The World War II monument.  I think.  You can see this from nearly everywhere in town, including my building.

 Looking... Southwest...?

 Looking southeast...?  I think.

 Snails.

 A survey marker, on the actual highes
Meet Esther, 20something years old.  Fed up with life and the way things are going, she decides to visit a liquor store.

Or rather, this town's closest equivalent to one, but that's a different story for a different time.

Beer was purchased, obviously, but then I thought, "hey, I need to earn this beer, and also it's still very early in the afternoon to just sit around and drink beer, so let's go for another walk."  (This was, of course, after wandering around City Centre for a few hours in search of a book I wanted that was totally at the shop last week but now is not.)  So I refrigerated the beer, kept my shoes and my jacket on, and went back out.

A quick stroll through the nearest park was simply not enough for me, so I tried taking another road that lead me out.  This lead to another road... which lead me back to the park!  The way the roads are laid out in this town amazes me.  So this road, instead of going back into the park, I decided to cross.  

Going about a block up (up being the only direction I can really think to use, as it's a hill) was another road to cross, and then a little staircase for pedestrians.  The staircase was seemingly never ending, with only a few breaks to cross more roads, but I was determined to get to the top, wherever that was.  I really did not know where I was going.  

But the staircase finally did end, at a field, with another staircase leading up on the other side.  I think the field is some sort of other park, hopefully not the same one I started at, but knowing this town's layout it very well could have been.  I decided to climb more stairs.

I had made it to the highest point in town!  I had earned my beer!  And the views up at the top were fabulous!  And for some reason there were snails!  And a World War II monument!  And a survey marker!  And, oh, let's not forget the seagulls, because they're everywhere here!

I'm not sure what the history is of this place, but it's the top.  One of the markers there said something about the Iron Age, but did not go into detail.  I'm hoping I can get to the city library someday soon to read up on the story behind this place, and its significance.

I had climbed all the way up to Dundee Law without even realising it.

And when I got back, I couldn't even climb the stairs up to my flat.

EDIT AGAIN:  Sorry the photos are at the top.  I have no idea how blogger works.


No comments:

Post a Comment